Australian Love Stories 2014, ed. Cate Kennedy
Guidelines for Submissions
N.B. Submissions that do not follow guidelines and email submissions will not be considered for this volume.
We are honoured that Cate Kennedy has agreed to edit Australian Love Stories 2014. For this collection we are looking for stories that explore all aspects of ‘amatory love’: the dark and the light of it; the holy mess of it; the beginning and the end; the ferocity and tenderness; the way it unmakes us, as we make it; the emptiness it leaves when it leaves. We are interested in both fiction and non-fiction stories about love.
We want stories of eros, desire and devotion, longing and loss—the kind of love Elizabeth and Darcy felt; the sort of thing William Shakespeare never stopped writing, the territory Margaret Mitchell walked in Gone with the Wind, and Emily Bronte in Wuthering Heights and Leo Tolstoy in Anna Karenina; the erotic sweet passion Anaïs Nin, Henry Miller and Vladimir Nabokov exposed the world to, the love Annie Proux dared to write in Brokeback Mountain.
Please do not send your submission directly to the editor of Australian Love Stories 2014.
We only accept hard copy submissions sent to:
Submissions Australian Love Stories, P.O Box 310, Carlton South, 3053.
- You are eligible to submit if you live in Australia or are an Australian citizen living overseas
- You can submit 1 love story that is your own work and has never been published before
- Your love story can be no longer than 3,600 words. There is no minimum length
- Deadline for submissions: 28 February 2014. We accept submissions postmarked 28 February 2014
- Please present your love story in Calibri 11 point and 1.5 spacing. This is important for the uniformity of the material presented to the editor
- Please do not put your name on your love story. The initial reading is done anonymously
- We only accept postal submissions, email submissions will not be accepted
- Please send two copies of your submission to: Submissions Australian Love Stories, P.O. Box 310, Carlton South, 3053
- Please include a separate Cover Sheet with your name, story title, email, postal address, phone number and 50 word biography. Do not put your name on the short story itself
We pay $100 (GST inclusive) for the love stories selected and each author will receive a copy of Australian Love Stories 2014. We expect to publish this collection late 2014. All authors will be notified of the progress of their submission by 30 June 2014. All queries to be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions that do not follow guidelines and email submissions will not be considered for this volume.
Cate Kennedy is an award-winning writer whose first short story collection, Dark Roots, was shortlisted for the Steele Rudd Award in the Queensland Premier’s Literary Awards and for the Australian Literature Society Gold Medal. She wrote The World Beneath, which won the People’s Choice Award in the 2010 NSW Premier’s Literary Awards, a travel memoir, Sing, and Don’t Cry, and the poetry collections Joyflight, Signs of Other Fires and The Taste of River Water, which won the 2011 Victorian Premier’s Literary Award. In 2012 she published her latest collection of short stories, Like a House on Fire which won the Steele Rudd Award in the Queensland Literary Awards.